Steps for this integration:
- Authorize your MailChimp Account
- Map Interact Triggers to MailChimp Actions
- Map Form Fields to MailChimp Merge Fields
Authorize your MailChimp Account:
Step 1: In the Interact app builder left sidebar, under Connect your email list, choose MailChimp from the list of integrations. Note: You must set-up your opt-in form before you can continue to your integration selection.
Step 2: You will be prompted to authorize the Interact app to access your MailChimp data. Enter your MailChimp credentials and click Log In to complete authorization.
Map Interact Triggers to MailChimp Actions:
Step 1: In the following steps you will have the chance to map a set of MailChimp actions to individual Interact triggers. A trigger can be, for example, when a quiz taker receives a specific quiz result or answers a specific quiz answer. To open the selection of MailChimp actions to select, click on the Add Actions button:
Step 2: In the slide-out menu, you will see a list of available actions to run in MailChimp. The available actions are:
- Add to List **Required**: Choose a MailChimp list from the dropdown to add new contacts to a specific MailChimp list. Example: For a quiz result trigger, you could connect different results to different contact lists to send autoresponders specific to the quiz result your customers received.
- Update Merge Field: Choose a MailChimp merge field from the dropdown to update the contact field for new contacts with a specific value. The value will auto-populate with the trigger name, but you can customize this with any value you want. Example: For a quiz result trigger, you could choose the MailChimp merge field "Quiz Result Title" from the dropdown and populate the field with the quiz result title for your quiz.
- Add Tag to Contact: Choose an existing MailChimp tag from the dropdown to add to the new contact. If the contact already exists, the tags will be added to the existing contact. Note: Contacts can only be added to a contact, not removed.
Step 3: Once finished with one trigger, you can select a different trigger from the left sidebar. When you have set all triggers that you need for your specific setup, be sure to click Save & Continue.
Map Form Fields to MailChimp Merge Fields
Step 1: Here you will find an overview of the way your opt-in form fields are connected to MailChimp contact fields. Default fields (cannot be changed): Email.
Step 2: For all other fields, choose one merge field from the dropdown that you would like to populate with the form value. Example: mapping Company Name to "Custom Field 1" will populate the value inputted for Company Name into the MailChimp merge field "Custom Field 1".
Step 3: When finished with mapping your form fields, be sure to click Save & Continue. If you find you need to make changes, you may edit the integration settings at any time.
IMPORTANT: If your quiz is already published and embedded, any changes made to the integrations will require you to publish your quiz after changes have been saved.
Update Double Opt-In Setting
Step 1: You will have the option to disabled double opt-in for your opt-in form. By default MailChimp requires subscribers to confirm their intent to subscribe. Check the box to skip this requirement.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will existing MailChimp contacts be updated?
Yes, existing MailChimp contacts will be updated with updated field values and be added to new lists. MailChimp tags will be added to the existing contact.
How do you create new MailChimp merge fields?
Step 1: In your MailChimp account, navigate to your Lists and click on the list where you would like to edit merge fields.
Step 2: Navigate to Settings -> List fields and *|MERGE|* tags.
Step 3: Click the button labelled Add A Field at the bottom of the page.
Step 4: Choose the field type to be Text.
Step 5: Fill out the form fields as desired, and be sure that the Visible? checkbox is turned ON.
What will a new contact look like in MailChimp?
The following screenshot is an example of what new contacts will look like as they populate into MailChimp:
I am receiving an error when testing the integration connection with a test lead in the Interact builder, what can I do to fix this?
There are 2 main reasons leads fail to make it into your MailChimp list:
- Contact was permanently deleted from list: If a contact was previously permanently deleted or unsubscribed from your list, it cannot be re-subscribed via the API. Be sure to test with an email that has never been added to your list or use a variation of an existing email (ex. email@example.com).
- Missing required fields: Be sure that your MailChimp list does not have any required contact fields that are not being sent by the Interact form. For example, if your MailChimp list requires a First Name field, but you are not sending first name data in your Interact opt-in form, the lead will fail to be added to your MailChimp list.